She is neither polite nor funny. Question: has / Susie / lessons / her / learned; Answer: Susie has learned her lessons. Ask the groups to take turns illustrating and guessing homophone pairs. “I have to wake up early, so I don’t stay out late.”, “John is struggling in his math class, so he hired a tutor.”. Play Pictionary by dividing students into teams. The above pair of words and the ones following have confused innumerable people. It’s a little different when you use it as a conjunction. Let’s look at one more example. Now it’s clear that your dad taught you how to play basketball. “Pat likes neither big cities nor small towns. (Download). All You Need Is Love! FluentU brings English to life with real-world videos. Laura Grace Tarpley is a freelance writer based in Nashville. Let me check whether she’s in her room.”. I drink wine in the evenings.” This can turn into “I drink coffee in the morning, and I drink wine in the evenings” or “I drink coffee in the morning and wine in the evenings.”. It’s tricky, but here are some examples of “either/or.”, “This summer, I want to visit either France or England.”, “Either we can eat Chinese food, or I’ll make food at home.”, “I want to attend either Harvard or Yale.”. Some common examples of homophones, including the words used in a sentence, are: There are several homophones in the English language that almost everyone gets confused at some point. This list contains many of the most commonly used pairs. A. The past tense of this 'lay' is 'laid'. Get Keyboard and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker. Occasionally, the group of words that make up a dependent clause can make up a complete sentence. 2. A relative pronoun serves two purposes. When to use it: “And” joins two ideas, things or sentences together. When to use them: The words “if” and “then” separate two clauses. “You can eat an apple if you get hungry before dinner.”, “If you get hungry before dinner, you can eat an apple.”, When to use it: This conjunction means “up to the point that something happens.”, “I can stay until 12:00 today, but then I have to go to work.”, When to use it: Use “whether” when expressing a choice between two options. A four - year - old girl _____ her life after she … When to use them: “Not only/but also” is basically a way of saying, “But wait… there’s more!” It’s a way to convey more information, often information that is unexpected or impressive. 2 – B. No sooner / than She didn’t care.”. Follow her on Twitter @lgtarpley. Answer: A. We’ve therefore created more than 100 homophones sentences below as examples for you to use. If you were to count the number of conjunctions used in just one scene, I bet you’d count at least five—probably more like 10 or 20! We’ll start with the simplest type (coordinating conjunctions) before moving on to more difficult territory. These frequently confused homophones include: Homophones are often confused with homographs and homonyms. There are many pairs of correlative conjunctions. The words 'lie' and 'lay' both have dual meanings. Like many of the most interesting parts of speech, correlative conjunctions are fun to use. In the following examples, the correlative conjunctions have been italicized for easy identification. 4. working Supriya has for been us years for twenty. Relative pronouns are words like who, which and that. When to use it: When you present a statement, “yet” presents an idea that contrasts the first statement logically. As suggested by their name, correlative conjunctions correlate, working in pairs to join phrases or words that carry equal importance within a sentence. For example: “of my dad.”. You can also use “since” as a synonym for “because.”, “She has been wearing makeup since she was 16 years old.”, “He has been afraid of driving since the car crash last year.”, “I’m staying home tonight since Sarah canceled our plans.”. Unscramble the given sentences. Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you Answer: C. Have you made a decision about whether to go to the movies or not? When to use it: Use “after” to talk about what happens in the period of time following something else. “The mailman delivered a package while you were at school.”, “While you were at school, the mailman delivered a package.”. D. scarcely / when, 3. We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in. In this case, you probably won’t use “or.”, “I can’t decide whether I want rice or beans.”, Below is an investigative situation in which you don’t use “or.”, John [on the phone]: “Hello, Mrs. Smith. You might not even notice these tiny words in a sentence. Make meaningful sentences using the given sets of words. I thought you just said you like school, and math is a part of school! Correlative conjunctions are conjunctions that come in pairs. Access the full FluentU video library on your web browser, or better yet, study conjunctions on the go with the app for iOS or Google Play. Write the homophones on index cards, then use the cards to play a game like Memory or Go Fish. Conjunctions are extremely common. Understanding homophones is an essential part of mastering the English language, both for vocabulary building and spelling. Let’s break up the following conjunctions using each of these three categories. The test was both very short and quite easy. Look at these two sentences: Separately, those two sentences seem to be in conflict with each other. You can find her work at outlets such as Business Insider, Roads & Kingdoms and The Write Life. After watching a video, hop on over to Quiz Mode. So, the best way to learn is to practice using them in sentences correctly. “Would you rather wear a dress or jeans?”, “We can go to the movies or we can go out to eat.”. “I eat at the café every weekend, for they serve the best bagels in town.”. can take anywhere. When to use it: This conjunction gives a reason for something. However, when it comes to conjunctions, the best way to learn how they’re used is just to dive in! Just use the acronym FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. All Rights Reserved. Understanding homophones is an essential part of mastering the English language, both for vocabulary building and spelling. The best way to figure out when to use each one is to see and hear them used in real-life scenarios. These English conjunctions connect a dependent clause to an independent clause. As suggested by their name, correlative conjunctions correlate, working in pairs to join phrases or words that carry equal importance within a sentence. “Either/or” is typically used to compare two nouns or options. “Have you decided whether you want to wear the red shirt or the blue shirt?”, “Whether we leave at 8:00 or 8:30, we’re going to get stuck in traffic.”, “You’re going to eat your vegetables, whether you like it or not.”, (Note: “Whether you like it or not” is a common phrase for expressing that someone doesn’t have a choice in the matter. When to use it: This conjunction refers to the time that something was happening. Copyright 2020 Ginger Software | Conjunctions can combine two basic words: Until next month, I can’t afford to go to the movies. “If Bob graduates from college, then he can apply for the job opening at Google.”, “If I order a medium pizza instead of a small, then I’ll have leftovers to eat tomorrow.”, “Joe is allergic to peanut butter.

Jason Derulo Speaking Creole, Beer Barm Where To Buy, Worst Neighborhoods In Redding, Ca, Www8 Fmovies Io, South Junior High School Yearbooks, Top 500 Ps2 Games, Libro Antiguo De La Cruz De Caravaca Pdf, Australian Leaf Tailed Gecko For Sale, Can You Guess The One Direction Member, Toreador March Mp3,