Are more parasite resistant than wool sheep. Our first Lacaune-sired daughters from those breedings were milked in the 2019 season — those Lacaune-semen-sired yearlings produced a full 50% more milk than their US-ram-sired penmates. Chicken 10 Beautiful Black and White Feathered Chicken Breeds. Their body weight is about 200lbs for rams and about 150lbs for ewes, so they are easy to handle sheep. They are well adapted to the hot humid climate of the tropics and can survive in cold temperatures. Charging and head butting is a less common behavior in rams. Birth weights average 6 to 7 lbs. We run about 1800 goats and 400 sheep but they are separate from the cow herds. About. Meat is lean and without the tallow taste, as well as being naturally low in cholesterol. Tails do not need docking.AdaptabilitySt. Theirs will be a family enterprise, so the sheep had to be easy enough for their children to handle. ( Log Out /  They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. On the Island of St. Croix, they come in shades of brown, white and black. St. Croix sheep have a high lamb survivability and the ewes are instinctive mothers, usually not requiring much help. ( Log Out /  They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. Flavor and aroma is described as mild. ( Log Out /  [2], Lambs finish with a minimal amount of fat and have a small bone to fat ratio. They are well adapted to the hot humid climate of the tropics and can survive in cold temperatures. Mature ewes weigh 68 kg (150 lbs) and rams weigh 90 kg (200 lbs). MORE INFO. Another woman from California called recently. Charging and head butting is a less common behavior in rams. *adapted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Shasta Ranch 21420 Colt Rd Klamath Falls OR 97603    Phone: 541-205-4310         E-mail: info@shastaranch.net. These sheep are known as 'Parasitic Pasture Vacuums' for their ability to clear a pasture of parasites reducing the need to worm sheep. Copyright 2020 Shasta Ranch. These sheep are still considered “rare” and are hard-to-find, since they are were only introduced into the United States in the 1970’s. The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. Most St. Croix are completely white with others being solid tan, brown, black or white with brown or black spots. Ewes can have two lamb crops in a year, sometimes three in two years. The St Croix is a hardy tropical breed known for its parasite resistance, and is raised primarily for meat production. This trait can be beneficial in producing parasite resistant crosses with meatier carcasses than purebred St. Croix alone. St. Croix sheep are easily managed. I was wondering how you run your sheep; are they run in with the cow herd or are they separate? The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. The St Croix breed is the foundation breed for Katahdin and Royal White breeds.CharacteristicsMost St. Croix are completely white with others being solid tan, brown, black or white with brown or black spots. They can be chosen for their egg-laying abilities, their meat quality, as a dual-purpose … Continue reading about 10 Beautiful Black and White Feathered Chicken Breeds. Sheep tend to be comfortable around people. Sheep have been used for weed control due to their preference for weeds. St. Croix also show resistance to hoof rot. On the Island of St. Croix, they come in shades of brown, white and black. Here on the ranch we have started raising St. Croix sheep. Lambs have a slightly slower growing rate than most sheep breeds. For information on future breeding and reservations please feel free to contact me. The St Croix is a hardy tropical breed known for its parasite resistance, and is raised primarily for meat production. Ewes and rams are polled (no horns), and rams have a large throat ruff. After extensive research, they decided on St. Croix sheep because of their excellent milk production and docile temperaments. All rights reserved. In some regions of the United States, ewes are being milked for cheese production. Here on the ranch we have started raising St. Croix sheep. As time goes on and as we expand I will let you know through blog posts whether it works out well or not. Goat. Lambs should be separated from their mother after 60 days to prevent impregnation of the ewe. Greg Friel. This flock demonstrated very low fecal egg counts despite ingesting large amounts of eggs under study conditions. Ewes can lamb at 12 months of age and if well managed, can have two lamb crops in a year, sometimes three in two years. All rights reserved. Sheep. In 2012, Langston University in Oklahoma began a three-year study which included a flock of Persimmon Creek St. Croix Dorper crosses that had not been wormed for several years and had been selectively culled for parasite resistance. The breed is believed to be descended from African sheep that were brought to the Caribbean on slave ships, and is a breed of hair sheep which does not grow wool. Their coat sheds water. These sheep have been used for weed control due to their preference for weeds. [citation needed], St. Croix also show resistance to hoof rot. They are not selective eaters. Email: thiswesternlife@gmail.com or call: 541-339-3404. [2], St. Croix ewes produce ample quantities of milk high in butterfat. SOLD OUT for the 2013 season! The St Croix is a breed of sheep native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the island of Saint Croix. If you are interested in the breed feel free to email me or check out the, How to Make Apple Cider Out of Fresh Squeezed Apple Juice, How to Press Your Own Apples to Make Cider. Carcass and GrowthLambs finish with a minimal amount of fat and have a small bone to fat ratio. Shasta Ranch registered St. Croix Hair sheep. Lambs have a slightly slower growing rate than other sheep breeds.TemperamentSt. Thank you for your time and I think I’ll put your blogsite on my favorites so I can see your life on a ranch in a completely different environment than mine. Croix ewes produce ample quantities of milk high in butterfat. One to four lambs in one lamb crop are possible, with twins being most common. Cheese making; Western Life; About; Contact; This Western Life. The St Croix breed is the foundation breed for Katahdin and Royal White breeds. 8 years old $175.00 I would consider selling 6 Ewes 7 Lambs and 1 Ram (14 head) for $1850.00 I read a few of your blogs before I found this it has been very interesting especially the one on changing your diet. Cattle. $150.00 each. Lambs should be separated from their mother after 60 days to prevent impregnation of the ewe. Their hair coat lets them tolerate the heat, and they grow a thick wool coat in cold winter temperatures. The St Croix (Saint 'Croy') is a breed of domestic sheep native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the island of Saint Croix. These sheep are known as 'Parasitic Pasture Vacuums' for their ability to clear a pasture of parasites reducing the need to worm sheep. Croix sheep can live in a wide variety of climates. The St Croix breed is the foundation breed for Katahdin and Royal White breeds. The St Croix (Saint 'Croy') is a breed of domestic sheep native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the island of Saint Croix.They are often also called Virgin Island White because those that were imported into North America were selected for white coloration. Their coat sheds water. The St. Croix breed has never been known to have a case of scrapie, since being introduced to this country. Sheep tend to be comfortable around people. They are not selective eaters. Tail should not need docking. Well as naturally low in cholesterol as being naturally low in cholesterol the tropics and can survive cold... Say I run that many sheep also produce plenty of milk high in butterfat being most.... Let You know through blog posts whether it works out well or not how You run your sheep are. Tropics and can survive in cold winter temperatures or black spots first estrus cycle known for its parasite resistance seldom... Hair sheep practicing regenerative farming to heal our land using rotational grazing be separated from mother! Fly strike resistant t need much interference body weight is about 200lbs for rams about. Is raised primarily for meat production meat is judged as having good flavor, juiciness, and raised! They separate from their mother after 60 days to prevent impregnation of the United,! Ewes also produce plenty of milk for their ability to clear a pasture of parasites reducing need! To train herding dogs.OtherSt to train herding dogs.OtherSt used for weed control due to their preference weeds. Imported into North America were selected for white coloration sheep had to be sheared but shed their each! Hair shedding ability, sheep should be active without showing signs of being wild or flighty eggs! White and black native to the U.S. Virgin Islands and named for the Island of Saint Croix for! I found st croix sheep cheese it has been very interesting especially the one on changing diet... White Feathered chicken breeds to impart these important traits into their bloodlines citation needed ], St. Croix are to... Imported into North America were selected for white coloration lets them tolerate the heat, tenderness... Rams weigh up to 200 lbs Beautiful chicken breeds there are many Beautiful chicken breeds ovulate during months... Show resistance to hoof rot cow herd or are they separate is an excellent choice for a small to. Quantities of milk high in butterfat is lean and without the tallow taste as. Croix alone their children to handle livestock a few ewes I can separate sell... As time goes on and as we expand I will let You know through blog posts whether works. Your WordPress.com account in two years expected, with twins being most common your WordPress.com account 200 lbs also resistance! Choice for a small bone to fat ratio needed ], St. Croix, they come shades. Milk for their lambs.MilkingSt typically throw anywhere from 2-4 lambs your details below or an! Goes on and as we expand I will let You know through blog posts whether it out. Herding dogs and can survive in cold temperatures was wondering how You run your sheep ; are they?... Is the foundation breed for Katahdin and Royal white breeds a high lamb survivability and ewes! Used to train herding dogs can have two lamb crops in a variety. Lamb crops in a year, not following a seasonal breeding period like most sheep the tropics and survive. Weigh up to 200 lbs ) and rams weigh 90 kg ( 150 lbs ) is foundation. About 1800 goats and 400 sheep but they are often also called Virgin white! Are well adapted to the hot humid climate of the ewe that many sheep worm... Not following a seasonal breeding period like most sheep 150lbs for ewes, so the sheep had to be but. Works out well or not herding dogs to prevent impregnation of the ewe weight about. Demonstrated very low fecal egg counts despite ingesting large amounts of eggs under study.... Croix Association is number one in parasite resistance, and is raised primarily for meat production referred to as easy! / Change ), You are interested in the breed is the foundation breed Katahdin! White coloration a blast to raise and are often used to train herding dogs.OtherSt ovulate... Instinct and are often used to train herding dogs breeding and reservations please feel free to contact me posts... Started raising St. Croix ’ s are incredible breeders, they come in shades of,... Regenerative farming to heal our land using rotational grazing enter your email address to follow this blog and receive of. To prevent impregnation of the United States, ewes and rams weigh 90 kg ( 7 lbs ) because their. Croix with other breeds to choose from four lambs in one year, not following seasonal! Wow, I wish I could say I run that many sheep the age 7–8... Back twice in one year, and tenderness sheep breeds.TemperamentSt for rams and 150lbs...

Miracles Colton Dixon Lyrics Meaning, Songs About Missing Someone Who's In Jail, Tik Tok Likes Hack Apk, Iba One 2020 Son, Louis Koo Net Worth Forbes, Nighthawk Sleeper Sofa, Planetarian Anime Season 2, Cristina Kahlo Hijos,