1974); 2 children Jean Martin (1990 – div. I would say that 25% of the Broadway shows that have ever been done have been saved by dancers. Gene Nelson (born Leander Eugene Berg, March 24, 1920 – September 16, 1996) was an American actor, dancer, screenwriter, and director. He was inspired to become a dancer by watching Fred Astaire when he was a child. She was 12 years his junior. He also appeared onstage in Follies, which garnered him a Tony Award nomination, and Good News. 9: First wife Miriam Nelson (nee Frankel) was a specialty film dancer from Broadway ("Panama Hattie"). I feel unfulfilled in either one. Choose an adventure below and discover your next favorite movie or TV show. Both careers were incomplete. After serving in the Army during World War II during which he also performed in the musical This Is the Army, Nelson landed his first Broadway role in Lend an Ear, for which he received the Theatre World Award. The sky's the limit. He starred as Buddy in the 1971 Broadway musical Follies, for which he received a 1972 Tony Award nomination for Looking for something to watch? He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7005 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on September 24, 1990. In my heyday, I could only do about four pirouettes without starting to fall, but with film, I could do a dozen by cutting and editing. Born Eugene Leander Berg, he went to Superior Court in 1964 to change his legal name to Gene Nelson as he wanted to use this for himself and his family. Married in 1941, she worked in Hollywood while Gene served in the United States Army. He also served as a professor of Theater Arts at San Francisco State University. He later taught in the Theater Arts Department at San Francisco State University in the late 1980s. Official Sites, He can be seen as one of the anonymous studio executives in the trailer for the original version of. Nelson died of cancer, aged 76, in Los Angeles. After graduating from high school, Nelson joined the Sonja Henie Ice Show and toured for 3 years before joining the Army in World War II. . Miriam Nelson (I) (1919–2018) Miriam Nelson. Debuted on Broadway in 1938. 1994) ( divorced). He joined her later and she was instrumental in helping him work up his innovative dance routines on film. He also appeared onstage in Follies, which garnered him a Tony Award nomination, and Good News. Tony Fontana (qv's & corrections by A. Nonymous), View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro, (July 1990 - In high school, he organized and trained a football cheering squad -- writing songs and cheers as well. While there he joined the inaugural line up of the … He can be seen as one of the anonymous studio executives in the trailer for the original version of He was a loving husband to Dania R.Garabedian Nelson, brother to Sharron Pognant & Jack Nelson, and father to Lori Lewallen. |  After serving in the Army during World War II during which he also performed in the musical This Is the Army, Nelson landed his first Broadway role in Lend an Ear, for which he received the Theatre World Award. Nelson directed eight episodes of The Rifleman in the 1961-62 season, the original Star Trek, the first season of I Dream of Jeannie, Gunsmoke, The Silent Force, and The San Pedro Beach Bums. You can do wonderfully imaginative things with film. ('Door', Mar 17, 1960)", Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year – Actor, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gene_Nelson&oldid=974937692, New Star of the Year (Actor) Golden Globe winners, Short description is different from Wikidata, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 25 August 2020, at 22:07.

Wilder Frances Faison, As Vesta Was Descending, Zac Brown Band Funeral Songs, Jon Harris Actor, Serendipity 3 Los Angeles, Melton Hill Dam Release Schedule, Waw Maps List,