I love you very much, and I will never stop looking for you. “We are very tired of people saying, ‘They did something wrong.’ And that 'all the disappeared are criminals.'". Missing. It’s no secret that El Mencho doesn’t like the Sinaloa Cartel and is going after them. To be careful of what they post on social media. She covers social-political issues in the region, including presidential elections, civil unrest, Central American migration, natural disasters, the environment, travel and sports. leader, Turkey reintroduces restrictions to curb virus spread, Turkey's annual inflation rate at 11.89% in October, Turkey: 3-year-old girl rescued 91 hours after quake, France sees 854 more deaths from coronavirus, Bangladesh's daily virus death toll lowest in 5 months, Global coronavirus cases top 8 million mark, International Migration Film Festival creates buzz, Latin America, Caribbean lose 34M jobs due to COVID-19, UN lacks leadership in dealing with virus: El Salvador, Coronavirus claims more lives in Brazil, Mexico, Mexican president announces arrests in Ayotzinapa case, Coronavirus cases in Latin America exceed 9 million, Brazil, Mexico report hundreds more virus fatalities, Turkey sees larger tsunami after latest quake, Libya: 12 articles agreed on over permanent cease-fire, Palestinian PM condemns Israeli raids in West Bank, Biden takes early election lead as voting continues, COVID-19 deaths near 20,000 in South Africa, Trump official warns about law-breaking UK Brexit bill, US pours back to military bases in northeast Syria, Trump loaning Kodak $765M to shift to drug production. She thought police might have arrested Jorge for carrying a beer on the street. El Mencho — CJNG’s leader — has “zero concern for human life,” Donahue said from his Mexico City office. “He will appear.”. Where do they have them?”. CJNG, headed by an elusive drug kingpin known as El Mencho, is maybe the most ruthless. “Now the child asks all the time where his father is because he already packed.”. In his home country, he has covered the armed uprisings of Michoacán and the recent Central American exodus. Why is The Courier Journal reporting on a deadly Mexican drug cartel? “You are in shock. Sarah Ladd, a breaking news reporter at The Courier Journal since August, contributed research to this report. It was an armed command.”. “They weren’t cops. It is your work. "All that is happening, lies and false news. Lopez Obrador branded reports Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as El Mencho, was dead as "false news". You can unsubscribe at any time. “Leave him!” the woman screamed. Karol is a field producer, reporter and a social media content producer. Silvia Morán thinks Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación took her son. El Mencho’s cartel, the New Generation, which was founded less than 10 years ago, made its fortune by “stealing gas, kidnapping, extortion and selling guns,” The Washington Post reported. “That’s the most terrible thing, because not only do they kill them, they mutilate them.”. US: Michigan expects voting results sooner than planned, US: Miami 'will not tolerate' violence on Election Day, 2020 US Election Day: Americans abroad also have vote, Turkey should try to mitigate quake losses: Opp. La Catrina is suspected of being a local boss, in southern Mexico’s Tierra Caliente region, of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel led by Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, or “El Mencho.” “What has helped me most are the people who come behind me — helping mothers like me who do not know what to do,” Silvia said. Flagship bonfire celebrations such as Blackheath and Lewes have been cancelled this year as families around the country prepare to celebrate as single households. She is fluent in English and Spanish. It can be found in small towns and unexpected places from the suburbs of Tacoma, Washington, and the sandy beaches of Gulfport, Mississippi, to the hills of North Carolina and Kentucky horse country. “But he already knows he is missing. He said: "It was found that it was a rumour, that what was mentioned did not happen, that he had died or had been arrested are lies. That you have to look at the characteristics of hands that were found, of the torso they found, of the leg they found — to see if it corresponds to your son. “I think it’s a matter of control, of (the CJNG) eliminating their competition. Months go by, and you can’t find them. A neighbor saw it all from her window and watched the crew beat Jorge unconscious. “You know you’re alive because you listen to your heart and see the light of day, but we are gone.”. Over the next three months, Silvia had no news. As she waited, she cried. Somehow, he’d made his way to a homeless shelter in America. He was wearing a gray, short-sleeved shirt with buttons, jeans and Puma sneakers, she told them. And she won't stop looking. El Mencho — CJNG’s leader — has “zero concern for human life,” Donahue said from his Mexico City office. Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I have to find you.”. Because it's here, Karol Suarez & Kristina Goetz, Courier Journal, One mother thinks CJNG is to blame for her son's disappearance. “Where can so many people be? Will firework displays still go ahead? Her first husband’s death from cancer. That’s the day to day of us. By the time she arrived at the right office, it was 2 a.m. Officers made her wait, then pelted her with questions. She’s also known other women who have found pieces of their sons at the morgue. Cristopher Rogel Blanquet is a Mexican photojournalist who worked for The Courier Journal on this project. Lopez Obrador likely made the comments in order to get in front of unproven claims that the government may have taken down the organized crime leader. She has been a journalist for more than 20 years. She went back to the prosecutor’s office. What I want is to find my son — alive or dead — but to find him. The neighbor hurried back inside, afraid to tell police. “No one is exempt from this,” said Eduardo Fernández, another member of For the Love of Them. Silvia called Locatel, a government office, to ask if Jorge had been booked in jail or if the Red Cross knew his whereabouts. Silvia had heard of narco commands kidnapping people. But she thought such kidnappings were one in a million — just people mixed up with drugs. No body unearthed to prove he was dead. Then he vanished, How this couple ran a ‘redneck’ meth empire in an Appalachian county ravaged by addiction, How a Mississippi trooper almost took down the world’s most powerful cartel boss, Officer disabled after helicopter shot down by rising Jalisco New Generation Cartel. More than two years after his disappearance, Silvia still has no information about his whereabouts. Sometimes she thinks the cartel threatened harm to his family in a way that allows him never to return. She is a mother who is going through the same thing.”. Silvia belongs to the support group Por Amor a Ellxs, or, For the Love of Them. South Africa recorded 74 new coronavirus-related deaths late Tuesday, taking the total number of fatalities to 19,539, said Health Minister Zweli Mkhize. Missing posters and banners fill the Facebook feed all day, every day. "I believe El Mencho wanted to retaliate for his son's extradition that was a strong punch against him." Silvia tells her five other grown children not to be on the street at night, to call when they leave and again when they arrive. “What did he do to you? Unlike the more militant approach of past administrations, the president has advocated for addressing what he believes are the root causes of violence such as job insecurity, the lack of education and poverty. With so many missing, police are overwhelmed. How did the Democratic presidential candidate earn his fortune? So everywhere Silvia goes she wears a laminated placard with her son’s photo dangling from her neck. “They will kill you if you don’t or they will disappear you,” she said. In the state of Jalisco, where Silvia and Eduardo live, violence is an everyday worry. “This is a change in strategy,” he said. In her tiny, one-room apartment in a boarding house in Guadalajara, Silvia sat close to her boyfriend, Eduardo Moreno, last summer as she recounted the day her son was taken — and all the other tragedies that have befallen her family. Officers told her she had to file a complaint about Jorge’s disappearance. "Because you keep asking yourself all the time if he’s OK when it rains, if he has eaten. But she doesn’t. Jorge Abraham Chávez Morán — Silvia’s first-born son — turns 27 next month. Copyright 2020 Anadolu Agency. Her son was never involved in drugs. In the end, mothers do the work of the authorities, Silvia said. At night, you go to bed with the uncertainty of whether tomorrow will appear. Twelve articles of agreement were reached Wednesday in meetings of the 5+5 Joint Military Committee on the implementation of a permanent cease-fire in... RAMALLAH, Palestine But he didn’t. She reported from Mexico for The Courier Journal on this project. By then, it was late in the night, and neighbors had gathered outside her house. That seemed the whole of the investigation. ... WASHINGTON Jorge wasn’t the only one taken that day. They took Jorge on July 19, 2017, she said. explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. El Mencho is number one on the DEA's most-wanted list, Mexican President Lopez Obrador described the reports as 'false news', El Chapo was arrested and imprisoned last year, Subscribe to Daily Star and Daily Star On Sunday newspapers, Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today, El Chapo and other notorious cartel leaders 'worked with FBI to rat out rival gangs', Mexican gang opens fire on drug rehab centre killing 10 men in mass murder, Jalisco had ordered a group of assassins to hunt down the sons of rival drug lord El Chapo, Mexican cartel leader who 'executed police' arrested following tense shootout, Pet cam sends dog owner alert about 'activity' and leaves them in stitches, Two naughty dogs managed to set off the pet cam and it fired an alert to their owner – only for them to watch the footage and see them playing a game of "the floor is lava", French bulldog dubbed 'king of drama' with tantrum when he can't go to park, Footage of a French bulldog getting sassy when his owner explains he can't go to the park has gone viral on TikTok – with the dog's epic whining tantrum making people crease up, Donald Trump threatens to get US election vote count stopped as he panics over results, The incumbent President of the United States Donald Trump gave an election night press conference live from the East Room of the White House while votes were still being counted in several key states – and labelled the results 'a major fraud', Dachshund puffs out chest and wakes up owner to 'fight' her in hilarious Reddit clip, The hardy dachshund was seen glaring at its owner moments after waking her from a nap. In 2015, he won the photography prize of the National Trade Union School of Colombia for his coverage “The Opium Child,” published in the Mexican newspaper El Universal. Sometimes I write, ‘I keep looking for you, son.’, “Or my slogan: ‘I promised not to die until I found you.'". That was the last time anyone from the Atemajac del Valle neighborhood saw Jorge Morán alive. It is also reported that he stands as number one on the DEA's most-wanted list. Mi negrito, she calls him. GUADALAJARA, Mexico — Silvia Morán has been searching for her son for two years. Too many sons in Mexico have disappeared like Silvia’s Jorge — 7,000 in Jalisco alone. “I said 'fortunately' it is not, but now I say 'unfortunately' it is not because the uncertainty of looking for him is worse than knowing where he is and being able to rest.”. She’d like to go to Sinaloa and other states, but she has neither the money nor the time. Silvia has so many unanswered questions. “It’s not uncommon to have young kids recruited, kidnapped from their families and forced to work for CJNG, and they desensitize them at an early age to become sicarios, or hitmen,” said Matthew Donahue, head of foreign operations for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. They’d left a store and started to cross the street when two vans filled with armed men hemmed them in.

Guilford College Fall 2021 Calendar, Cable Modem Reboot Due To T4 Timeout, How To Draw A John Deere Tractor, Diy Sponge Filter With Media, Easyjet Recruitment Process, Synovus Business E Banking, Menards Deck Coverings, Mi Router 3c Update File,