We are no longer accepting comments on this article. Do you have a story that you’d like to share? lgbt pride, Published: 10:42 EST, 15 April 2020 | Updated: 11:48 EST, 15 April 2020. petition, As the work of generations of queer activists has paid off, and being LGBT+ is (somewhat) more accepted, companies have been cashing in on our movement, both by appealing to the pink pound and using Pride as a marketing gimmick to seem progressive. For an increasing number of LGBTQIA+ people and activists, protecting the Pride flag also means reclaiming it from pinkwashing corporations that only fly it now that it’s profitable for them to do so. Will McDonald’s, Greggs, KFC and Subway be open during the second lockdown in England? Play it now. Democrats are now plotting to oust Pelosi as Speaker after their House majority shrunk amid her refusal to do a COVID deal as AOC-led squad circles the embattled leader, As Trump cries foul and claims the election was 'stolen' from him, we explain the 'mail-in' voting that's so critical in this election, Joe Biden has ALREADY launched a transition website 'so that the Biden-Harris administration can hit the ground running' even though votes are still being counted, Republican pollster Frank Luntz calls his profession 'done' after Trump well outperforms polls for a second election, Furious Trump called Rupert Murdoch to 'scream at him and demand a retraction' after Fox News called Arizona first for Joe Biden - but the media mogul refused to back down, Biden's odds to win the election hit all-time high of 87% after securing Wisconsin and Michigan, Newt Gingrich tells Trump and Senate Republicans to open 'investigations' into 'fraud' in states called for Biden, Biden is expected to win in Nevada despite having less than 1% lead over Trump and the final results are not expected until later today, Trump leads Biden by 2.6 points in Pennsylvania with 89% of votes counted - and the final results may not come until Friday, Trump is ahead by less than a 1% point in Georgia after 98% of the votes are counted and the result is expected to be called later this morning. 'It took me nearly 16 hours over two days to finish the project and my wrist was killing by the end of it! (Custom Flags NI/ Facebook). Manchester Pride, for example, came under fire in 2019 when it charged £71 for entry. The comments below have not been moderated. It's the nightmare scenario - a stubborn Trump refusing to quit power and relying on the Supreme Court he shaped to back him, 'It's bonkers and dangerous for public health!' Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live. pride flag, Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. Social media users blast 'insane' Oregon voters for approving measure to decriminalize possession of ALL drugs including HEROIN and COCAINE, Anti-Trump protesters clash with NYPD in Manhattan's Greenwich Village as National Guard is activated in Portland and LAPD declares 'tactical alert' for second night in a row - as election result hangs in the balance, 'This is an extremely flammable situation and he just threw a match into it': Chris Wallace, Jake Tapper and Savannah Guthrie lead anchors blasting Trump for prematurely declaring election victory, Biden's support among black male voters dropped a record 15% compared to Obama in 2008 after a series of campaign gaffes and claims he took the African American vote for granted, Nancy on the brink? 'But I wanted to dedicate it to health workers across the country for their efforts during the corona virus outbreak - I want to put a smile on the workers faces amongst all the doom and gloom. Celebs you didn’t know have an LGBT sibling, “People like us have been attacked for simply even wearing that flag and when you see the very people who have hurled abuse at you flying your flag it just doesn’t sit right with a lot of us.”, McMonagle also said that she feels the NHS “deserves” its own symbol, suggesting: “Maybe a blue flag with the letters NHS on it, a full seven coloured rainbow flag, a white flag with an actual image of a rainbow on it, a flag with the NHS colours (blue and white).”. The rainbow is a symbol of solidarity and peace, and there’s no reason that the popularisation of the seven stripe rainbow as a motif for the NHS should dilute the power of … ‘Re-brand Pride’ weren’t words I ever expected to read, but sadly I wasn’t shocked when I did. “I know, and my online supporters all agree that we love and respect what the NHS workers are doing for us. Get in touch by emailing jess.austin@metro.co.uk, MORE : Rainbow sandwiches and Pride logos mean nothing when queer people are still suffering, MORE : How to stay connected to the LGBTI community during lockdown, MORE : Being LGBTQI and Muslim is no easy ride. Drawings and paintings of rainbows have been springing up in windows across the UK, with schools and parents encouraging children to “spread hope” to those unable to leave home, and to show solidarity with key workers and the NHS during the pandemic. If CityBus had offered free rides to NHS workers or free rides on their rainbow bus during Pride, that would be actual allyship, for example. We should never platform organisations who both harm our community whilst profiting from our struggle.’. The six-striped rainbow LGBT+ Pride flag has been rebranded as a symbol for the NHS. Learn more about how to help people impacted by COVID. Children can colour the letters NHS with a rainbow and then display the completed poster in a window. Still, it stung to read Plymouth Citybus’s recent tweet, in which they asked what better way to show ‘thanks to our amazing NHS and key workers, than to re-brand our Pride bus to our rainbow ‘NHS’ bus?’. This is a good start, but the incident still highlights that companies who want to use symbols like the Pride flag/rainbow need to think about why they’re doing it and what they’re adding to the movements those symbols represent. Ever since its inception in the late 1970s, the rainbow flag has outraged queerphobes as much as it’s inspired feelings of community in queer people. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, Arizona election center is forced to CLOSE after Trump supporters chanting 'count the vote' protest the state being called for Biden too SOON as president closes the gap with more than 400K ballots still to go, 'Do you think we are fools?' Lola the dog finally gets a forever home after 400 days in a shelter. 'The rain is yet to wash it away and what I really wanted to do was say thank you - keep smiling to all the key workers and our healthcare workers who are working so tirelessly for us.'. 🌈Look out for the bus on our roads soon! “But the six colours flag has been synonymous with LGBT+ pride since 1978, and we will fight not to be erased.”, More: Mr Pickard said: ' I decided to chalk the entire house in the colours of the rainbow as a special tribute to the NHS, Craig Pickard and his son Nyle, pictured, have used chalk to paint their house in Rotherham rainbow coloured in honour of NHS heroes, Mr Pickard, pictured, said people have been stopping outside his house to look at the display, Mr Pickard said he spent 16 hours completing his epic art project on front of his house. The daily lifestyle email from Metro.co.uk. It now costs several hundred pounds to have a float in London Pride, a price tag that many groups – especially those representing bisexual, trans, and non-white people, which historically have received the lowest amounts of community funding – can hardly afford.

Colby Covington Sister, Skillcrush Vs Treehouse, Marcus Coloma Height, How To Not Bore A Girl Over Text, Baby Angel Fish, First Up Canopy Replacement Parts, Scp Game Unblocked, Bhs Reader's Edition, Jts Brown Vs Jw Dant, Citation Film 365 Dni, Martha Dumptruck Lyrics Deutsch, Durga Aarti Lyrics,