• History of poliomyelitis disease in the United States
• Types of poliovirus (WPV1, WPV2, WPV3)
• Poliomyelitis pathogenesis and outcomes
• Poliovirus epidemiology & review of poliomyelitis vaccines in the United States (inactivated, live oral)
• Childhood polio vaccine schedule in United States
• Contraindications and precautions of polio vaccine
• Brief review of NH EMS protocol 7.2
• Polio eradication in United States, and globally
• Case review – NY polio case in July 2022
• Vaccination concerns post COVID-19 (Vaccines initiative)
Objectives: At the end of the lecture, each student shall:
1) Explain the history of poliomyelitis disease in the United States
2) Describe transmission routes, symptoms, and outcomes of poliomyelitis disease
3) Discuss the role of poliovirus vaccination in the prevention of poliomyelitis disease.
Registration is only permitted within the defined registration window. Prerequisites must be met at the time of registration. Courses where pricing is listed as "grant funded" covers course tuition only. Overtime/backfill eligible courses will be specifically noted.
Registration Opens: Friday August 18, 2023 @ 08:00 Registration Closes: Tuesday October 03, 2023 @ 16:00