U.S. Department of Labor’s Northern New England District Office will present on common mistakes that department leaders make when paying their First Responders.
• Brief overview of what counts as hours worked when there are required trainings, meetings, and when required to sleep on premises of firehouse.
• Types of payments (nominal fee, stipend, point-system, per call, and how certain methods create an employee-employer relationship)
• When minimum wage is required and when it is exempt
• Working dual roles as same type of service or same public agency
• How to calculate overtime (which bonuses get included when calculating the rate)
• Minimum age to work in firefighting and ambulance services
Knowing how to correctly pay your staff can help prevent complaints, potential investigations, and help RETAIN your employees.